Monday, May 21, 2012

The Grade Escape

Today is Monday which means I'm supposed to post a blog.

Normally I'd write something that helps me process or celebrate life and discover new things about God and myself.  But not today.  Not this week.

I'm pooped from a full semester of teaching, and it's all I can do to plow through my last pile of grading.

I usually somewhat enjoy grading, but oh! the lengths I have to go to to maintain my sanity while grading with such a tired brain.  I find myself having to schedule distractions every thirty minutes or so.

I make smoothies with the oranges from our tree.

I get out my guitar, shut my windows, and sing "Killing Me Softly" at the top of my lungs.

I water my garden, prune my roses, and weed.

I stand on the diving board and twist myself into all sorts of poses that make my shadow on the pool floor look like a professional ballerina.

I curl my hair.

I do laundry.

I wash dishes.

I lie in the grass, look up, and admire the majestic hawk soaring across the sky, before realizing it is actually a pigeon.

And, of course, I read poetry.

Poetry is a sanctuary for me.  It is a place of peace I can escape to that helps me to slow my racing mind, and rejuvenate my tired spirit.

And so, in honor of my rather large pile of grading, I give you a post from the archives: an original poem from a third grade student I taught years ago.

I hope it gives you a brief and sunny escape from the day's responsibilities.


Wednesday, December 3, 2008


My students learned how to write non rhyming poetry today. I asked them to write a poem about some type of city wildlife. Their imagery made me chuckle. Here's one of my favorites (completely uncorrected):

Squirrel

Today I saw
a baby squirrel.
The squirrels teeth
was fricken me out
its teeth were all black.
The squirrel's head
was shining like
silver.
Its nails were
sharp like a
porcupine's thorn.



*To read more about my adventures teaching third grade click on the label entitled "Room 341" in the cloud on the right of the page.

© by scj

No comments:

Post a Comment