Monday, October 14, 2013

Evidence-for-God's-existence waffles, the recipe (gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free)

One fateful day three years ago, after already having discovered dairy and shellfish allergies, I discovered I was also allergic to wheat, most nuts, soy, and various fruits. To make matters worse, my health problems simultaneously forced me to cut all refined sugar out of my diet.

Goodbye joy, happiness, and goodwill toward men.


Thankfully, I found that cooking savory foods according to my dietary needs wasn't too difficult. My attempts to make sweet, Sarah-friendly treats, on the other hand, yielded a number of disastrous results.


So a number of friends and family members rallied around me, sending disaster-proof, Sarah-friendly recipes my way. I worked to master them, and then began to branch out by tackling more complicated recipes and adjusting normal recipes to suit my dietary needs. Along the way, I've found some real culinary dandies that I'd like to start sharing with all you gluten, dairy, and sugar-free types.


My evidence-for-God's-existence waffles are one of my favorite, simple, Sarah-friendly breakfast treats. My mom originally got the recipe from a good family friend back when I first discovered my allergies, and they're a favorite with my family — even the non-allergy-restricted members!


Hope they're a hit with you and yours!







OATMEAL WAFFLES (OR PANCAKES)

Process in your food processor or blender (to a course or fine four):
·      1 ½ c. oats

Then add and pulse into the oats:
·      1 tsp baking powder
·      1 T maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar

Then add:
·      1 egg*
·      ¾ c. coconut milk
·      4 T. melted coconut oil 

*If you can't eat eggs, then let 1 tablespoon of chia seeds soak in 3 tablespoons of water for 10 minutes or so. The mixture will become thick and gooey, and will work to bind the waffles in place of the egg.  

If you'd like, you can add chopped nuts (I use pecans) into the batter. If your batter seems too thin, then let it sit for 5-10 minutes and it will thicken up nicely.

Pour the batter into a greased, hot waffle iron and cook until the waffles are golden brown. If you decide to make pancakes, then you'll need to cook them slowly on a lower heat. They fall apart easily, and need to cook through before being turned. 

Top 'em with fresh berries and coconut cream, or chopped pecans and maple syrup, or fresh nut butter and honey, and bon appetit!







© by scj

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait to try them :)

      Delete
    2. They are so easy and healthy! I think I've had them for breakfast five days this week. ;)

      Delete