Monday, November 4, 2013

Girlfriend getaway

I can go a week without chocolate, sunshine, ocean waves, tea and scones, and even deep belly laughter. But I cannot go a week without spending time with my girls. I love them, and I need them, and I am so thankful for them.

Which is why the weekend before last's girlfriend getaway to a cabin up in Julian was lovely, delightful, marvelous.



Guess how many nights we were away?





One.

Yes, we have a problem. Well, I have a problem. Mine is the giant, green suitcase to the right. Hey, give a girl a break: I needed to be sure to have several sets of sweatpants to choose from. You never know when you'll need an extra set of sweatpants.

On our way there, we stopped at a little roadside country store with fresh farm produce. I found the cutest little green duck just waiting for someone to take him home.

The air in Julian is clean, the colors are autumnal, and the pace is slow.

It was the perfect place to lay around talking. And talking. And talking. That's pretty much all we did.






We didn't even get all the luggage into the cabin before we were all lounging on the swing trying to solve the world's problems.


We are a psychology-loving group who cares about emotional health and loves talking about spiritual formation and relational dynamics. Our conversations turn into wonderful adventures traversing further up and further in to each other's minds and hearts.

We did eventually leave the porch for a sunset hike into the woods,

where we found a clear-water creek,


and tromped across large clearings glowing with dusky light.


We like each other.

Gosh, I love these girls. They are vibrant, intelligent, kind and fun. They fill the empty nooks and crannies in my secret soul places.

After our hike we made ourselves a yummy dinner and a roaring fire. And then we curled up by the fire and talked.

Then we went to bed, and talked some more. Talking into the dark, long past bedtime is one of my most favorite things.

The next morning we made breakfast, and talked until the sun was high in the sky and it was time to head home.

And by that time we really had solved the world's problems. Until next time, anyway.


© by scj

No comments:

Post a Comment