Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tuesday Things: Best Moments

It's Tuesday, and there are five things makin' me happy today:

1.  I have to call my plumber every 8 weeks or so because the trees around my house wiggle their roots into my bungalow's very old pipes. I call him so often that he recognizes my number and, upon answering his phone, greets me with, "Hi there, Sarah!" before I've said a word. My frequent plumbing problems have been a real hassle, but I sure am thankful for the new friend I've made out of them.


2. My faithful, creative, hard-working, funny, spunky, talented, self-sacrificing mom is visiting me this week.



She's been the best companion the last several days. I love having here around.


3. Last week was spring break. I spent most of it in front of the fire at my dear friend's house in Murrieta, CA. Rest was the name of the game — my body gobbled up as much as it could. Oh glory.


When the week came to a close I hopped in my car and made the 1 1/2-hour drive back to my place. Along the way, I passed five tanks cruising down the freeway, full of strapping soldiers waving to passers by. I'll tell you what, caravanning with scads of handsome, brave men is not a bad way to commute. Not bad at all.


4.  My dizziness has lessened some in the last 10 days. This has been a sweet relief for which I am so thankful. I'm praying it's the first step toward complete healing. In the meantime, we're still trying to pinpoint exactly what's going on in my body. The tests I've undergone thus far reveal my central nervous system is under attack, we just aren't sure what is attacking it. The doctor's original speculation that I have an autoimmune disease is still a strong possibility, but I'm having some other tests run to investigate another possibility. I'm also seeing a doctor in my home-town this June who specializes in solving mysterious cases like mine. I'm hopeful he'll be able to help me.

As all of these next steps fall into place, I'm wonderfully grateful for the way my family and church body have rallied around me. Chronic sickness is the hardest thing I've ever experienced, but it has opened me to some of the greatest things I've ever experienced, like having the Body of Christ take care of me. I've gotten to experience the paradox of living in Christian community: loss becomes gain. When you lose the capacity to adequately care for yourself, you gain a crew of caretakers who help you understand grace.


5. Yesterday I ate raspberries that tasted like childhood summer. They reminded me of brown bare feet, riotous games of cowboys and Indians, and water balloon fights that sent squeals of mirth ricocheting across the cul-de-sac. Isn't it grand that God gave us the capacity to remember our best life moments?!



Hoping you have a string of best moments today, my friends.

Cheer for ya, Skillets,

SCJ





© by scj

No comments:

Post a Comment